When Invisalign hit the market in 1999, adults who had been avoiding braces for fear of looking awkward or the stigma associated with metal braces applauded Invisalign’s aesthetics as a step towards orthodontics that working professionals could embrace. Since its inception, Invisalign’s popularity has only grown; by the company’s calculations, more than one million people have used the clear aligner therapy to perfect their smiles.
Yet, like any form of cosmetic dentistry, especially orthodontics, Invisalign is not a flawless system, nor is it pain-free. Patients who are considering Invisalign should be aware of some of the pros and cons before contacting their cosmetic dentists.
- Less noticeable than metal braces.
- Oral hygiene is easier to maintain than with metal braces.
- Less food restriction due to the fact that Invisalign can be removed during meals.
- Correction of a number of problems, including overcrowding, gaps between teeth, crossbites, overbites, and underbites.
- Discomfort when transitioning between trays throughout the course of the treatment.
- Longer treatment if used improperly.
- Self-consciousness when removing trays.
- Cost—by some estimates, Invisalign may cost as much as 20% to 50% more than traditional orthodontics.
Patients who are interested in learning more about Invisalign can contact Dr. Andrew Charkiw and Dr. Armaghan Afsar, experienced professionals who are among the very finest dentists Toronto has to offer. Skilled in Invisalign procedures, the dentists may be reached at 866-972-1222.